Subject: [Leica] really elementary backup question
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:17:21 -0700

The long answer is "you don't know."

The short answer ( :-) ) is, use a journaled file system on your back up
drive, or RAID or something with some sort of redundancy checks.

Individual bit errors can always occur, although when a drive goes, usually
a whole portion will go and you will notice pretty soon, e.g. your backup
of backup may start to fail.

If you are paranoid, do an equivalent of disk check every week or month or
whatever.