Subject: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:53:06 +0800

> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:53:24 -0800
> From: Richard Man <richard at richardmanphoto.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>

> Yes, but was it unethical and disingenuous? If so, you are just speaking
> your mind. Nothing wrong with that.
>
> My point is rather that IMHO, they are pretty good photos for the piece.
> Not the best there is, but hey this is only the New York Times.
>
> And if the advice is that for safari shoot, if you can only take one or two
> lens, take the longest you can is probably a good one. Not that I have done
> any wildlife shooting in any stretch of imagination...

If you are paying for a standard safari and have to stay in the jeep and on
the trails then there is no question, in my brief experience, take the
longest lens you can carry / afford.
One thing I disagree about - the recommendation to carry and use a monopod.
I took a tripod to India two years ago and used it in the jeep one day for
about 10 frustrating minutes.
It was just not useful at all. Jayanand recommended and uses bean bags. Much
better. The proper support is a bean bag on the window ledge of the jeep
with your lens resting on the bag. That worked well both in India and in
Kenya.
Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] How to photograph a safari)