Subject: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
From: billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:21:00 -0600

If you are in the bush in Africa, as I was, you always stay in the jeep/land
rover as that is the only way to come home alive. My safari was a personal
one (no one but me, the guide and my now ex wife) and there was no question
of an out of jeep experience. I have read of safaris that allow trail
walking, but am quite skeptical that they are able to provide for your
safety.
A long lens is always a good idea, but I disagree with your thoughts on
monopods. I used on, and it was easy and valuable. Photographs ere rarely
taken from a moving vehicle, so the monopod was easy to use, where a bean
bag would have been useless.  A tripod, OTOH, would be hard to impossible to
use from even a stationary vehicle.

Bill Pearce

If you are paying for a standard safari and have to stay in the jeep and on
the trails then there is no question, in my brief experience, take the
longest lens you can carry / afford.
One thing I disagree about - the recommendation to carry and use a monopod.
I took a tripod to India two years ago and used it in the jeep one day for
about 10 frustrating minutes.

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] How to photograph a safari)