Subject: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:21:31 -0500

>> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:53:24 -0800
>> From: Richard Man <richard at richardmanphoto.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] How to photograph a safari
>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
>> Yes, but was it unethical and disingenuous? If so, you are just speaking
>> your mind. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>> My point is rather that IMHO, they are pretty good photos for the piece.
>> Not the best there is, but hey this is only the New York Times.
>>
>> And if the advice is that for safari shoot, if you can only take one or
>> two
>> lens, take the longest you can is probably a good one. Not that I have
>> done
>> any wildlife shooting in any stretch of imagination...
>
> If you are paying for a standard safari and have to stay in the jeep and
> on the trails then there is no question, in my brief experience, take the
> longest lens you can carry / afford.
> One thing I disagree about - the recommendation to carry and use a
> monopod. I took a tripod to India two years ago and used it in the jeep
> one day for about 10 frustrating minutes.
> It was just not useful at all. Jayanand recommended and uses bean bags.
> Much better. The proper support is a bean bag on the window ledge of the
> jeep with your lens resting on the bag. That worked well both in India and
> in Kenya.
> Cheers
> Howard

I would put a vote in for the monopod: you will NOT use it in the jeep,
BUT if you are outside the jeep, nothing beats a light portable support.
Combined with image stabilization, its better than a tripod in most
situations, and can be carried in your check in luggage anyway: no real
issue, take a monopod would be my tip ;-)

Alastair

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] How to photograph a safari)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] How to photograph a safari)