Subject: [Leica] IMG: Steller's Jay, Yosemite National Park
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:11:28 -0800

When we were loading up the car one of these was squawking loudly from a
tree perhaps five feet away from me. Then it dropped to the ground and began
poking through the leaves. I carefully made my way into the room for the
camera but by the time I returned other guests had frightened it away.

Later we heard it calling, all loud and angry sounding, from behind the
building. I pursued it for some time snapping lots of images. Tricky little
buggers!

This image, not in Doug Herr's quality but reasonable, shows the wonderful
details in the plumage but only hints at the light-blue stripes on its
forehead.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/21623298_W8LVb4#!i=1724422601&k=xSkkkg7>

Canon 1Ds Mk II, 70-200 f2.8L, manual focus, handheld.

I brought the Telyt 280mm lens just for this kind of photography but there
wasn't time to get it onto the camera.

Comments and criticism most welcome.

Adam Bridge

ps: It was 64 degrees in Yosemite Valley when we left about noon. At 6,000
feet as we left it was 54. The park felt empty.

Oh, and people were able to hike all the way to the top of Yosemite Falls.
We did part of that hike yesterday but reached a place where Jan did't feel
comfortable so we turned around. Shirt-sleeve hiking.

AB

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn) ([Leica] IMG: Steller's Jay, Yosemite National Park)
Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] IMG: Steller's Jay, Yosemite National Park)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Steller's Jay, Yosemite National Park)