Subject: [Leica] The smallest M lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 02:36:17 -0500

There have always been plenty of very small footprint non descript Leica
lenes which add little to the weight and bulk of an M body yet give full
quality out to the edges as in the kind of quality one gets into Leica for.
And I'm not even talking about the collapable Elmar a lens in chrome version
my X has gotten a LOT of use out of. She also uses or used the colorable 90
elmar. But the 50 works on an M9.
My 50 Summicron is light and small. My 45 Summicron C is lighter and
smaller. My 35 Summicron ASPH would be even lighter and smaller if it were
not the ASPH. And the summilux you can hardly tell the difference.
Half the Leica glass out there tends to be tiny.
The default filter size is 39. Those are my main filters for my Leica glass.
I have an old tiny 35 Summaron I could use on an M with an adaptor. I got it
for my LTM system
I'm not sure what the cache is for this Pera 35/3.5 lens.
What it opens up for the photographer that he didn't have opened up for him
or her before.
Mr. Miyazaki may believe that a well designed triplet exceeds a Tessar but
this one gives laughable results at the edges wide open.  It looks like shot
through a car window at an angle. For all the big bucks and rhetoric you get
a Japanese hand built Holga.
And at the same price a new chrome 50 Silver Elmar went for a few years ago
when we got one.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/