Subject: [Leica] New York Is
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:49:20 -0700

Marty Deveney wrote:
I've spoken to a few people who saw that show and many people about
the book - it is amazing how many Americans say things about it like
"I was there, it wasn't that bad" - as though by its title or subject
matter the photos should have been evenly representative, rather than
what Frank saw and wanted to convey.

Marty, did you mean "I was there (at the show in DC)" or "I was there (in
the 50s)?"  I'm assuming the latter, and if so, a lot of us here were
"there" too.  I lived in New Orleans when Frank was working there and
remember his photo of the segregated streetcar, with black and white faces
peering out of the front and rear section windows.  It definitely reflected
the reality of that era, and whether it "wasn't that bad" is a matter of
perspective.  It wasn't bad for me at all, as a middle class white
teenager, but it looks pretty shocking today.  As an outsider I think Frank
was seeing an America that some of us didn't want to see at the time.
 Interestingly, the iconic photo show of that era was the MoMA's "Family of
Man," an epic affirmation of human community that didn't ask many
questions.

As an aside, I actually photographed one of Frank's subjects from The
Americans, without realizing it until much later.  I was a student in Baton
Rouge in '59 and had just bought my first "real" camera, a Rolleicord.  I
took it down to the riverfront area, where an itinerant preacher dressed in
a white robe and carrying a cross was known to hang out.  He was there and
posed for me on one of the first rolls of film I ever put through the
camera.  I had no idea about The Americans at the time -- I just thought he
was a colorful guy -- and I definitely wasn't trying to make a social
statement.  Alas, I haven't been able to locate the old negative but I
remember it distinctly.

Folks interested in Frank's influence might enjoy Philip Gefter's
"Photography After Frank," (Aperture: 2009).

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] New York Is)