Subject: [Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSave Lives?: Scientific American
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 23:38:04 -0800
References: <648443990.984896.1328723469087.JavaMail.root@sz0090a.westchester.pa.mail. comcast.net> <C0EB1A36-8041-4282-8B53-B1D1BD48C992@gmail.com> <BLU139-DS14B7689A4CF81AA94AAD11B87B0@phx.gbl> <984A53A3-C7B4-438A-ACD3-174FCFF20568@gmail.com> <CAFfkXxvsxocYs_Wygu0p4yj6Kb1WrneY3ZmVxT_OFbF3ghj-Ag@mail.gmail.com> <CF785EE6-371F-46AD-80AD-40297DE8FADE@gmail.com> <CAFfkXxu0V94g6GiYfSF41nJLpeLyazLHcJTn8e88RMuwpikb5Q@mail.gmail.com>

After reading all of the posts on the subject, I'm inclined to tell my story.

For several years I was getting a testosterone shots every six months
because of a low level of same. One of these times, my regular
physician was on vacation, the replacement guy observed my PSA level
and announced he would not authorize the shot without first knowing
why that level was high.

I had a nine-needle biopsy and one of the nine picked up cancer
cells. I call that a needle in a haystack; the group of cells was
only a fraction of a centimeter long. Sheer luck that it was picked
up! The bad news was that the pathologists said the type of cancer
was very aggressive.

Radiation and a hormone suppressant was the recommended treatment and
I had to choose between radioactive seeds and what is misnamed
"intensity modulated radiation therapy". The ex-physicist in me
regarded the former as pretty damn inaccurate compared to the latter.
It should be called "beam cross-section modulated therapy". Put
simply, a linear accelerator fires electrons at a target producing
x-rays. The x-ray beam is shaped by a diaphragm made of tungsten
leaves. The apparatus rotates around the patient, pausing at a number
of positions. At each position, the beam is shaped to match the shape
of the prostate as viewed from said position. This minimizes
radiation damage to other parts.

I really lucked out. No significant side effects. PSA has stayed low
the past eleven years; I'll be 90 in June.

Herb

I was pretty pissed off at my doctor. I wrote a letter to him, with
copy to the head of the clinic, stating that his having been on
vacation probably saved my life.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org