Subject: [Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSave Lives?: Scientific American
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 22:43:15 -0600

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>
wrote:

> so incredibly frequent, and usually incredibly benign, but not always.....
>
> Steve

So, my father had it, and was treated with radioactive seed implants.
Dad died of other things at a ripe enough age, but too soon.

As I had  family history, I got an annual PSA, and it was always
normal; that is until a couple years ago, when a result came back that
made my doc seek a retest.

Second try was still alarming, so I went to a major Urology clinic in
Shreveport.  Same result there, so they did a biopsy.  They found a
high count of cancer cells in most parts of my prostate gland.

I know that if you live long enough, you are likely to get prostate
cancer, and I know that most men with it die of other causes.

My doctor explained that these were not just traces, but quite a lot
of cancer there, plenty enough to warrant action.

About the same time Dennis Hopper's story came out.

Now, I haven't had the kind of life Hopper had, but I had to pay
attention to my prospects.

After much discussion, we decided that the prospect for a "normal"
life were best, in my case at sixty-five, to opt for radiation
treatment, along with chemo/hormonal treatment.

I had the treatment.

My life is now getting back to normal, though in some ways it never
will be again.

Cancer is no fun, and the treatment is less.

 I met  people at the radiation therapy waiting room, who had a lot
worse situation than I did.

I don't know if aggressive treatment was absolutely right, how can I know?

Now the side effects are going away, my PSA is low, my hormones are
climbing back into the normal range, and I feel better, it seems
almost every day.

This weekend we visited our Son and Daughter-in-law.   Savanna is
going to have a little boy in April, and I know I'll get to spoil him.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that like cameras, one size of cancer
detection doesn't fit all.

--
Regards,

Sonny