Subject: [Leica] Pano stitch test: Sunset light
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 20:42:35 -0800

Paul, it's hard to tell from a web pic of course, but your use of the RF645
and Tech Pan is masterfully!!

As for Gigapan, in case you didn't know, it's a robotic unit so you
(should) calibrate for the horizon and nodal point. The effect is a bit
like swing lens panoramic, I think. So straight line not on horizon is
curve, but that's true with handheld stitching too. (As you can see, my
bias is till the single frame pano ala XPan)

With the Gigapan, I am trading off portability and time spent on field with
repeatability and hopefully less time post processing. I figure that I can
easily carry a tripod, the Gigapan in a bag (~4 lbs) and my Leica with a
single 50mm lens and still hop up and down a trail if I want. Throw in a
couple other Leica lens and I would be set for most situation.

The other thing I don't like about the Giga Stitch software so far is that
it only accepts JPG. I'm going to try stitching with just Photoshop on the
RAW/TIFF file and see how it does...

--

Replies: Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Pano stitch test: Sunset light)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Pano stitch test: Sunset light)