Subject: [Leica] 90mm APO Summicron M Asph Price Range
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:11:56 -0800

Marty,

This is not a focus shift issue as in - it shifts plane of focus as it is
stopped down. This is an issue as in - it focusses accurately at one
distance, but not at another, all at the same aperture. The 90AA exhibits
very little focus shift, as stopping it down doesn't change the plane of
focus much at all, at any distance.

The problem with mine, and I believe Howard's, was that the cam did not
follow the focus properly. If the lens focussed properly at infinity, it was
off at 10m and then on again at 3m. Not very user friendly. I too now have
some other 90 options which work better.

In a related vein, the 75 Summilux exhibits focus shift in the traditional
manner, but at f/2.8 it is off the intended focus plane by the same
proportional amount at every distance, and I have learned to compensate. I
can use it very well, and have a high degree of confidence in it.

Henning