Subject: [Leica] Help with Nocti
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:40:03 -0800

Marty Deveney OFFERED:

>> None of this matters if you don't care, or don't see the abberrations
> or don't know what the results of the aberrations look like.  I see
> them because I look for them and have gone out of my way to learn what
> various aberrations look like in a print.  Some of them produce
> effects I like, some I live with, some I only notice if I go looking
> for them.<<<<<

Hi Marty and others,
This series of posts about the many good, bad and uglies of the Noctilux f
1.0 for me has been very enlightening!

I'm not being a smart ass with that comment, simply because once again the
LUG has become a most interesting learning tool. WHY?

Well all the things technical pointed out against or within the lens are
items I never knew were there, nor do I understand the technical meanings of
many of the word descriptions. Nor what to look for? I don't think that
means I'm stupid or don't care. It is interesting.

But because I never knew about it, nor do I look for many of the things you
lads have pointed out. I'm quite surprised someone hasn't looked at my
Noctilux exposed photographs, many printed as 16X20 exhibition prints in
trays. And said something along the lines you lads are talking about and are
describing?

Me? It's the same old story..... "I'm a photographer first and foremost!" A
techie second or wherever it fell during my hundreds of assignments. The one
thing I have always strived for, are the feelings of myself when I've been
lucky and have a nice moment captured on film, or these days digital and it
printed well and looked cool on occasion. :-)

And once in awhile a viewer makes a nice compliment about my abilities with
a camera. Not often, once in awhile is nice! ;-)

I suppose if one doesn't know about all of the negative aspects explained,
then the negative aspects do no harm to your photographs, because you look
only at the "CONTENT!" And because that has always been my motto, what I've
shot for and the end result looking as smashing as possible, I'll keep what
has been said in some dusty old corner of my mind. But really not pay any
attention to them and carry on shooting as I've done for 61 years. Content
first and foremost!

Thanks everyone for broadening my understandings about lenses.
cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Help with Nocti)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Help with Nocti)