Subject: [Leica] Help with Nocti
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:03:11 -0800

Learn to love your aberrations and other shortcomings.

Yes, I like some and some are impossible for me to live with (today; who
knows what tomorrow will bring).

I shot for years with various pre-aspheric 35/1.4's. Pick and choose your
aberrations. I now have an f/1 Nocti (my second, but I think I'll keep this
one). I also had the f/1.2 but really never liked the pictures so it went
fairly quickly after the f/1 came out.

Things that bug me about lenses at times so that I don't take them out, and
thus don't take pictures with them: Size and weight, insufficient close
focussing, excess flare, lack of resolution and/or contrast, bad distortion,
especially complex 'moustache' type, mechanical unreliability, bad coma and
astigmatism when I need points, etc, etc. In the end I choose lenses based
on types of usages and faults I can live with.

I can live with Nocti f/1 faults often enough that the positive points
outweigh them in the long haul. That's about it.

Henning