Subject: [Leica] 50mm .95 and be there try something longer!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 02:31:51 -0500

POOR LEICA having come out with their new .95 Noctilux not that far back
costing as much as an air to air missile they sat back with grins on their
faces and probably said:
Now THIS is a lens which is not going to see anything remotely like
competition in our lifetimes "ha ha ha in German". :

And along comes a silly sounding company SLR Magic who after making glass
for micro 4/3's cameras cranks this out in their spare time and money. They
take on the king.

- no price point yet.
Will it be enticingly cheaper than the Noctilux or enticingly more money?
What does it got that the Noctilux don't got
or visa versa?

If I were running Leica I'd not have them getting to work in the night shift
on a quick draw compact  f .94 special with titanium inserts and close
focusing eyes.
I'd get them going on a  1.4.  ASPH APO compact 75mm or 90mm.
There is no 1.4 long glass in the Leica lineup now.
And with modem computer design and modern glasses and coatings I think they
can now make one compact enough to not get in the way of the viewfinder.
And if it did get in the way of the viewfinder  like a .95 50 certainly does
they have a better excuse to come out with a hot shoe ASPH viewfinder for
800 bucks.

DSLR people have their pic:
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon
AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G  Nikon
SAL-85F14Z Telephoto 85mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T*  for Sony
Telephoto 85mm f/1.4 ZE or ZF Planar T* Manual Focus Lens for Canon or Nikon
or Pentax.
Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux R Lens

M shooters don't need to lag behind in fast grabbing power.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] 50mm .95 and be there try something longer!)