Subject: [Leica] Friday Flowers, Aram
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:08:57 -0800

Thanks Tarek.

I took 4 (well, more, but only used 4) shots at slightly different focus
points and then CS5 was used to blend them together into one image.  CS5
looks at each frame and decides which sections are sharper than the same
sections on the other frames, and masks to show the greatest sharpness.  It
usually works very well, but sometimes you have to go and fudge with the
mask layers a bit.  The main advantages of this is that you can use the lens
moderately stopped down, say 5.6, where performance is at its peak, and get
more effective Depth of Field.  And it also retains the shallow DOF effect
that you would not get if you stopped down to say f22.  The background is
nicely blurred with an extended DOF where you want it.

There was one drawback in using LR4 Beta with CS5.  I first worked on the
images in LR4 to adjust exposure, then when I went to transfer them to CS5 I
was told I could not do that because Adobe Raw 7 was needed.  Well, that is
not available as a public beta (or at least I could not find it), so they
reverted to their RAW parameters and I merged them, then processed the
combined TIFF file in LR4 Beta after the merge.  Not my usual workflow, but
it turned out pretty good.

Aram