Subject: [Leica] MFT>M adapter
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:43:40 -0700

Jim Nicholls wrote:
>I have many images posted that were made with Leica-R glass and 4/3
cameras.
>I do not have a MFT body to use with Leica-M glass.

Jim, I think the vintage glass is more practical on the original 4/3 bodies
because of the EVF.  I don't have an EVF for my MFT so it means focusing on
the back LCD, which is a bit more awkward, especially in daylight.  I'll
post some shots if I get any that look promising.  I have to say, though,
that the E-PL1 looks pretty mean with a 3.5 Elmar installed. ;-)  On
Flickr, a lot of PL-1 users have posted photos of their MFT bodies with
legacy glass installed, and have posted pix taken with the combo rig as
well, so folks are using the combos.  For the usual kinds of shots most of
us take it's not a practical solution but I can think of situations where
I'd like to try it.

BTW, I've noticed that people often think the PL-1 is a vintage RF camera,
even with the kit zoom installed, especially when I have the SBOOI finder
in the shoe.  When I get a chance I'll photograph it and post a shot.  It
definitely feels more like a vintage RF hanging around my neck and in the
hand than any other digicam I've owned.  And as Dick Taylor pointed out,
using an optical finder with it is really easy if you just set it for
center focusing and place the focus point in the center of the finder image
when you shoot.  When you hear the beep it's focused.  It helps that the
lens is marked for the focal lengths that correspond to 28, 35, 70, and
85mm.  In my case I just set the lens to 25mm (50 equiv.) and I'm good to
go with the SBOOI.  The shutter click even sounds like a film camera.  And
you don't need to feel stuck with 50mm --- you can still use the LCD screen
for other focal lengths, just not the finder.

Also, you're not limited to Leica glass -- there are adapters for many
other brands, some for less than $15 at rainbowimaging.  I saw adapters for
Exacta, M42, LTM, Nikon and so on.  Even Alpa and Pentacon 6x6.  Look here:
http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/category.php?id_category=3&p=2

Finally, I'm not pushing this as a viable system.  It's mainly for folks
who want to play with their old glass and don't mind the inconvenience of
slow focusing.  Just for fun IMO.

I'm also not pushing the E-PL1 over other MFT options.  I got mine refurb
for $250 with kit lens and price was a big factor.  No regrets, but there
are many other options if you want to spend the dough.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] MFT>M adapter)