Subject: [Leica] Scanners - Mark's travails
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:51:11 +0000

This thread has been very well timed as far as I am concerned.

I recently our main desktop machine.  It now runs 64-bit Windows 7
Professional.  Unfortunately, this means that my Minolta Scan Dual III
won't work :-(

I spent most of a frustrating day trying a number of options.  Firstly,
I tried installing the original Minolta software in Windows XP mode and
found that I got an 'unknown error' message.

Then, I tried VueScan in native 64-bit Windows 7.  I found that it was
rather hit and miss and the scanner would just stop.  I think after
about two hours of switching the scanner on and off, uninstalling and
reinstalling the software, I got one scan that worked.  A subsequent
scan failed, with the application becoming unresponsive.  The only way
to stop the application was to do so via the task manager.

I then tried the original Minolta software under Windows 7 after having
found a way of getting the driver to work.  All seemed to be going well:
prescans worked but  full scans would just stop for no reason and there
was no way of ejecting the film holder.

The new machine has USB3 ports and I'm wondering whether there is some
sort of compatibility issue between the scanner (USB2) and the new
hardware.  I probably have a USB2 PC card somewhere, but whether it's
compatible with either the new motherboard or Windows 7 is anybody's guess.

So I have now given up on the Minolta working under Windows 7.  I may
keep my XP machine 'just' for scans and a couple of odd apps, but it's
not really practical as it now lives in the garage and I access it when
needs be using RDP.

I also have an Epson V700 flat bed scanner, which I've used successfully
for 5x4 and medium format scans.  I decided to give it a go for scanning
35mm film.  Colour slides were decidedly soft, so further
experimentation is needed, adjusting the height of the slide film holder
to see if I can improve the focus.
35mm B&W negatives however, were pretty good:  I made a scan at 3200DPI
and was able to get a very acceptable A4 print once I had tweaked the
settings a touch.  An A3 print is probably going to be OK too.

I did find that scanning using the Digital ICE facility within the Epson
software gave some strange artifacts.  Keeping the settings simple gave
the best results.  3200 DPI, no USM, some slight level adjustments and
that was about it.

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK