Subject: [Leica] DNG/Lightroom Question
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:57:43 +1000

If you have Saved as DNG on import you can vary process (2003 or 2010) and
/or profile as others have noted.  Further any old or custom profiles you
once used will always be available on your PC to ensure backwards
compatability.

However you can't undo DNG's back to the first Raw format unless you
selected the option to embed the original Raw file in the preferences. When
that is done of course you get a much larger DNG. I've never played with it
personally.  Or if you kept a copy of the original Raw you could try again
and compare if wanted.
I bet you're fine just with those DNG options though.

The new V4 Profiles have some new tags which the current versions do not
understand. There's an exposure offset that I think the new profiles
require. They also broke the DNG profile editor amongst other programs.
That being so I would guess that you will need LR4/ ACR whatever it will be
to take advantage of the new profiles\features (but all of the existing
functionality will still be good). That has been the case previously.
That is only my guess. I don't know which camera's profile have/will be
updated. Canons for sure!

I do have a new M9 profile (courtesy of Adobe as part of some analysis
right now)) and it does work with LR3.6.  However I don't know as yet if it
is a one off/ beta or will be standard in LR4.

Head on over to Sandy McGuffog's blog for info on this, if interested.
Sandy has been very kindly looking at the same couple of DNGs for me as
well.
http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/

By the way another thing with the new M9 profile (at least) is that you
need to set the Profile *before* WB. Worth trying with any Raw file if you
are experimenting with different profiles.

Cheers
Geoff

*Die besten W?nsche*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman