Subject: [Leica] My artist's statement
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 19:25:55 +0100

Chris, I've read your artist's statement but also your very interesting text
on the role of documentary photography in art and history - for the second
time, in fact. I think I've already told you I find your photographs first
class, for their technical level, no doubt, but also for what they comment
on the country you describe and for their long term value. Well, this text
is a statement I can easily identify with because what you write about the
role of photography is basically what we try - yes, try - to modestly do
locally. What I find so true is the idea that the best pictures are not
necessarily taken far from where one lives and that our surroundings offer
ample room for a photographer's happiness and provide them with very good
food for thought!Thanks and a very good photography year to you!Jean-Michel