Subject: [Leica] To Tina (Silverfast question)
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:09:27 -0500

Hi, Luis -

I answered your e-mail while I was waiting in the dentist's office.  When I
got back home, I checked to be sure how I was scanning.  I use the 48 Bit
HDR Color for scanning everything, even black and white.  I set it for
either negative or positive but still have to invert the curve when I
import negatives into LR.  I scan at 4000 dpi and end up with a file about
120MB.  I keep Digital ICE on normal, unless I'm scanning B&W or
Kodachrome.  And I use the multiple exposure feature to scan every slide
twice at different exposures.  I believe that is how Silverfast advises you
to scan to get every bit of the information that is available in the film.
 The scans come out dark and dense, but that's because they are Raw files
and have to be converted either with Silverfast's HDR program or in LR or
PS.  I tried the HDR program but find I can get just as good results in LR
and PS and it's a lot easier to use the ones I'm familiar with.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

Tina