Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2011: rebirth
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:57:17 +0100

I was born in the city of Wroc?aw in south-western Poland in 1960. Following
a government-sponsored anti-Semitic campaign in the late 60s, my parents and
I emigrated to Denmark in 1972. My sister did not go with us, and she still
lives in the city of my birth. Of course, today it is an entirely different
world. Wroc?aw is a city of almost 700.000 people, located in one of the
most dynamic regions in one the most dynamic countries anywhere in the
Western world. The Jewish population of the city had dwindled to almost
nothing by the late 1980s, but in recent years there has been a remarkable
revival, due mainly to people re-discovering their ancestry and a bit of
return migration. One tangible proof is the old synagogue "Pod Bia?ym
Bocianem" ("the white stork") which had fallen into disrepair until a
Norwegian singer took up the cause and started a foundation that spearheaded
the renovation of the temple. The work was completed last year and the
result can be seen here:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#1652231741_kL7C5bg-O-LB

The congregation has about 400 members, small fry by US standards, but a
remarkable revival considering the circumstances. There is also a Jewish
school in Wroc?aw, a good indication that the community has a future.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain