Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:36:24 -0800

I understand, Bill, but were there never times you didn't, without thinking,
do something to a file, save it, and then couldn't back out of it?

I'm a big fan of non-destructive edits to ANYTHING. I like being able to
recover from mind-farts and, as I grow older, they become more frequent.

With Lightroom I can make virtual copies of an image and treat them
differently. Want to see how it works in black and white? No biggie, I make
a virtual copy and then shift the image into B&W and play with it. I don't
save another copy of the image, just the settings I used to make it B&W.

Maybe I want to play with the image in other ways. Same thing. Then I get
multiple versions of the same image but using very little disk space.

That's the real joy of Lightroom. Changes can be rolled back trivially.

I think the next version of Photoshop will have more Lightroom-like features
added to it.

I don't expect to see layers in Lightroom. I still sharpen in Photoshop
where I have a workflow I understand and (ahem) believe in. I think I do a
better job that Lightroom does. I have never been able to sharpen my 1Ds Mk
II images as well in Lightroom as I can in Photoshop. For the M8, though,
Lightroom provides the minimal amount of sharpening that is needed and its
easy.

I think Lightroom's ability to do noise reduction is just flat out amazing.
Mind bogglingly good. And parametric so you can play with it to your heart's
content without messing things up permanently.

Lightroom is also very good for printing. Much better than Photoshop at
least for me.

With the new Epson drivers I don't have to fork over mass quantities of
money for a RIP. (I'm looking at YOU Imageprint...)

Adam

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom)
Message from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom)
Message from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom)