Subject: [Leica] Looking at buying an M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:09:49 -0500

If digital cost most than film I'd STILL use it.
The result, the jpeg or the print, I get from digital and the vastly
superior workflo makes digital superior. That fact that its the dominant
process today is not a quirky accident. Its the best because its the best.
When something is the best it usually cost more. In this case we lucked out
and it cost less. That doesn't happen very often.
Yes a big plus to digital is you can shoot all day for a nickel's worth of
hard disk space but to me that's maybe the icing on the cake.

The fact that I can shoot more makes for better pictures.
The idea that all those pictures are identical is ridiculous.

In the old days "the 90's" we'd buy a brick to shoot something.
Open up the cellophane and put a roll in the camera.
There were nine more rolls or nineteen if it was Kodak left floating around
in the cellophane in our camera bag. We didn't just go click and walk away -
we covered it.  "Film is cheap"we'd tell our clients and ourselves and in a
way that was true. In a way it was BS.
Now the amateurs are more likely to "cover it" than just go click and walk
away wondering why their pix are half assed. They can really spend time with
a subject which they think might work out and try some things. Get some
different angles. Gets some different distances and cropping.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/onthisAutumnday/