Subject: [Leica] The Cosmic Dance
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:02:57 +0530

Jim,Ric,Montie,Luis,Marc

Thanks for looking.

If any of the LUG members come down here, I will take you to the great Siva
Temple at Chidambaram, which is dedicated to this dance, just a few hours
drive away from here.

I was also surprised to find this entry in Wikipedia, which I did not know
about:

"In 2004, a 2m statue of the dancing Shiva was unveiled at
CERN<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN>,
the European Center for Research in Particle Physics in Geneva. A special
plaque next to the Shiva statue explains the significance of the metaphor
of Shiva's cosmic dance with quotations from Fritjof
Capra<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritjof_Capra>:
"Hundreds of years ago, Indian artists created visual images of dancing
Shivas in a beautiful series of bronzes. In our time, physicists have used
the most advanced technology to portray the patterns of the cosmic dance.
The metaphor of the cosmic dance thus unifies ancient mythology, religious
art and modern physics."

Maybe religion and science should come together in such felicitous ways
more often.

Cheers
Jayanand