Subject: [Leica] Casual tripod?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:23:12 -0800

The only negative with a beanbag is that you MUST have some form of object
to put the beanbag on when taking the picture. No object, no photo.
Which implies that you are restricted in what locations you can take photos
from. It is, however, the lowest priced item you can have... and if you do
not mind old beans for dinner, recycleable.

I use several tripods, depending on what I am shooting with....   The Leica
has recently been mounted on a Monopod with a (very) cheap quick release
plate.... no ball head, just a $20 Manfrotto front and back swivel thingie.
It works excellently.  Not good for really long exposures.  ( Gitzo Monopods
are overpriced.... get a new or used Bogen).  Very portable ( $100  total,
used).  I also have a heavy duty set of legs with a 3 way head... for 4x5
work.  And a short mod 1 Carbon fiber Gitzo with a very old Linhof swiveling
ball head for the Blad.

Get a good tripod set of legs or leg ,then a good head ( not necessarily a
ball head, although they are/can be lighter in weight).  Mix brands if you
need to get what you want.

Pick a price point and stick to it.  You will find something that fits your
bill....

And keep in mind that a used tripod is a viable alternative....Tripods and
Monopods rarely wear out......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net