Subject: [Leica] Casual tripod?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:47:39 -0600

On 12/13/2011 4:12 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> If I remember you well enough Peter you're on the tallish side like 5' 11".
> And tripods if they've got you slumped over you're never going to use them.
> You'll say "I don't use tripods they're awkward! Slow me down!"
> But if you had a taller better one maybe not.
> 30 bucks is basically nothing.
> You don't want to spend any money on a tripod.
> You already have one.
> 30 bucks is half the amount you'd want to pay for a tripod head. The key
> piece of gear as important as your tripod itself.
> Get a Manfrotto.
> But the cheapest I'd go it a Tilt all which used to go for 99 bucks and I
> bet that's their used price now if not cheaper. The head is bottom line its
> not a ball head.
> Get a used Manfrotto. That's Italian for Bogan. They own Gitzo.
> Now only will you own it you'll use it and it wont embarrass you.
> Its what serious photogs get when they don't want to pay for a Gitzo.
I'm getting an education on tripods.  I hauled my Gitzo 2030 with
Manfrotto head all over Yosemite a few weeks ago, and it gained a pound
or so each mile, but then it works for 4x5 field cameras as well as
digital.  So, I was looking at the Gitzo Mountaineer carbon fiber
tripods.  But, the Grail seems to be the Really Right Stuff Versa carbon
fiber tripod and 35mm ball head.   Light, no center column to waiver,
but...like $1,600 with their ball head.  Choke, choke, but then issue
resolved.  Maybe Santa will bring one, cc to spouse.

Ken

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Casual tripod?)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Casual tripod?)