Subject: [Leica] High ISO film...
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:00:39 +1030

D3200 and TMZ have much higher base speed than the 400 speed fils
(more than a stop).  But they are much grainier.  So, if you have flat
light and a narrow tonal range, pushed 400 speed films will probably
have the finest grain, but in contrastier scenes you'll lose shadow
detail.  The converse is true; the faster films can handle a wider
range of luminances in the scene, but are grainier.  Neopan 1600 was
only 2/3 stop faster than the 400 speed films, and I used it as a more
pushable/contrasty light friendly version of them.

D3200 and TMZ are both very good.  TMax/TMax RS developers, Microphen,
DD-X or other speed enhancing developers not only give them the most
speed, but the best tonality, although TMZ looks amazing at EI1000 in
Xtol 1+1.

Neopan 400 at 800 in Xtol 1+1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1168.jpg.html
Neopan 1600 at 1600 in TMax RS:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Grant-McLennan/File0897.jpg.html
TMZ at 6400 in TmAx RS:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/bands/File0884.jpg.html
D3200 (I think, it might be TMZ) at 3200 in TMax by firelight:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img034ab.jpg.html

Handling the materials thoughtfully can make more of a difference than
the materials themselves, but only up to a point.

Marty