Subject: [Leica] 1.8 vs. 1.4!?!?
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:55:31 -0000

Doesn't anyone read their Gossen exposure meter manual anymore?

The Lunalux, Lunalite, Lunasix F, LunaPro F manuals all include the
following explanatory text (along with other, much more useful material):

"The [meter]  is calibrated in 1/3 f/stop increments with numerical
indications at full stops. A table is included below with the actual
numerical values of the 1/3 stop increments listed for levels from f/0.7 to
f/128. Values not listed can be calculated from the formula that follows:

New f/stop = (old f/stop) (square root (2) to the power (f/stop change))

For example, if you wish to stop down 1/4 stop from f/4, take the square
root which equals 1.414 and raise it to the power .25 which is the decimal
equivalent of 1/4 stop."

The table is in the appendix, and reads as follows:

 .7     2.8    11     45
 .8     3.2    13     51
 .9     3.5    14     57
1       4      16     64
1.1     4.5    18     72
1.3     5      20     81
1.4     5.6    22     90
1.6     6.3    25    101
1.8     7      29    113
2       8      32    128
2.2     9      36
2.5    10      40

To make sense of that table, you will of course need to have a
non-proportional font.
Doesn't anyone read their emails in plain text anymore?

Piers