Subject: [Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:51:36 +0530

Tina,
I agree with and understand the reasoning behind all your points. My
point was that the internet and digital modes of recording data,
artwork, music, etc are changing business dynamics very fast - look at
what is happening in the music industry, and no doubt in the film
industry as well. The photographic industry is going through the same
sort of catharisis, and I have no doubt a valid business model will
emerge in time, using different delivery modes and structures. The
scenario that you mention, however fair or unfair it might seem, is
really the reality of the marketplace at the present, and
photographers will have to adapt furiously to manage the change, not
just think that old business models will work, and moaning when they
do not.

I have actually faced and managed this sort of change in my business
of running a stockbroking firm, which I have since sold, so I have
some idea on what I am talking about. When I started the business in
1990, the brokerage we used to earn on a trade was between 1% and 2%.
By the time I sold it earlier this year, that range had compressed to
0.05% to 0.25% - but thanks to all the productivity and efficiency
measures that we had taken in the period of change, our profits had
gone up 20 times!
Cheers
Jayanand