Subject: [Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:50:50 -0500

On Oct 30, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> And, Jayanand, there is a fee structure for digital use, also.  So many
> people think that if it's on the internet, it's free.  It's not.

In fact there is a whole lot of photography available for "free" on the
internet.
The fact that we, as so-called professional photographers, wished it weren't
so
does not alter that fact.

Even the ability to view so much fine photography on line (irrespective of
use)
has lowered the perceived value of a "photograph."

> All
> photos are copyright protected and cannot be used without permission.  Some
> people (non-professionals) give permission freely, professionals charge.
> As EXIF, watermarking, and services like TinEye improve, more and more
> photographers are following up on miss-use of their photos and charging 3X
> the normal fee for illegal use of their photos.  If the photo has been
> registered with the copyright office, most lawyers are willing to pursue
> those cases and almost always win. I'm all for that!

Bottom line pros need to demonstrate that their photographs
rank as significantly "better" and "more valuable"
than the "freebies" in any given market.

Individuals can of course choose to "give away" or "barter"
(doing so for "good will" can also have great value)
or "sell" the products of their labor and expensive tools.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com