Subject: [Leica] Plagarism
From: csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:26:35 -0400

All along the watchtower is a Richie Havens song.  Hendrix's version if so
similar to how Havens plays, his guitar style (and a trained ear can hear it
a mile away), that I suspect Havens is playing the acustic guitar on the
track. Dylan coped songs from everyone he encountered, he was a sponge
soaking it up and ringing it out, this was his genius.  This is why he was
so popular, everyone thinks they already know the song.  No one ever accused
him of being a master of originality, he was an absolute conformist who
soaked up the normative culture and put it back out for consumption.  That's
why he had to break from it, he created a monster for himself.  At some
point early on he learned he could take full credit for thinly disguised
traditional songs.  This was a long standing tradition in the publishing
industry except that the artists rarely received the publishing royalties.
Perhaps Dylan though why should people like Howie Richmond, Harold
Leventhal, and Pete Kameron get the publishing rights? An interesting
copyright case study is the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and the tin Pan
Alley practice of creating fake authors for slightly different versions of
songs that were thought to be traditional; one might ask why publish under a
pseudonym?  Dylan obviously feels he can put his name on these slightly
altered versions of other peoples work and collect the royalties.  As a
musician it was plausible that he actually wrote the music and authored the
words, but as a painter we see how less plausible it actually is.

All this BTW is plagiarized from Wikipedia but I added enough of my own
thoughts to claim it is mine.

Chris