Subject: [Leica] Lake Michigan Waves -- as the light fades
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:15:35 -0700

Greg Rubenstein SHOWED:

> The threatened wind and rain finally arrived in Chicago. Wind-whipped
> waves started getting interesting about the time the light started
> vanishing. Even at 1.4 with the 75 (1/125 and 1/1/90 just don't cut it
> with wind and water) it was tough to get something as waves crashed
> into the beacon at the west edge of the breakwater at Lake Shore Drive
> and East Lake Shore Drive (not quite Oak Street). Have posted three.
> Not a sequence, though it looks like one (backwards) if viewed 1 - 2 -
> 3.
>
> Comments, critiques appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Greg,
I think the main problem is? You are about 400mm too short of lens length!
:-) And if possible your shooting position should have been at shore level?

In frame one it appears you are shooting from a lower or closer position?
And should have stayed there concentrating on the action over the beacon or
even closer if possible, but at shoreline.

The last two frames it appears you changed position covering the complete
break-wall?  Therefore taking away the impact of the high flying water.
Don't need to show the whole thing. The picture is the peak action and
highest splashing over the beacon, not the whole wall.

In photo one, regardless whether you make blow-ups or not, this is a case
I'd blow-up the water and beacon and only show it as the scene appears far
more menacing than showing the whole wall!!

That angle would've made the water appear higher. But with a 400mm or 600mm
lens it would have put you right out there in the water crashing over the
beacon. No super long lenses? A big blow-up would've almost given the same
effect because your trigger finger hit the shutter release at precisely the
right moment for peak water over the beacon as we see here.

But the blow-up or with a longer lens you'd be right there in the water!
Right on the mark. Timing is great! Unfortunately yer too far away for
maximum effect.
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)