Subject: [Leica] Plagarism
From: disfromage at ameritech.net (Richard Wasserman)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:56:51 -0500

I learned recently that this is very common. My wife and I went to a
photography show opening and as we were poking about the gallery
discovered in a back room a painting that was copied/based on one of
my images. The artist[?] added a tree and changed the time of day of
the scene. Other than those changes it was pretty much a direct copy.
What are the odds of a painter from Colorado coming to Chicago and
painting a scene that is identical in aspect ratio and cropping to
mine that was made with a 4x5 camera and 300mm lens? My assumption is
that he took the low resolution mage from my website, printed it and
then painted over it?sort of like the old paint-by-numbers kits.

Unfortunately there is almost nothing that can be done about it as the
courts side with the copier. Terms such as "interpretation" and
"transormative" are bandied about. It certainly strikes me as a sign
of a very lazy and uninspired artist. At least the painting was
unsold....