Subject: [Leica] PESO: America, from Occupy Philadelphia
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:36:52 +0530

Robert,
They are strictly not comparable. Rich people pay 22% average tax on their
income, because most of their income tends to Capital Gains and Dividends.
Dividend comes out of income where corporate tax has already been paid, so
the effective tax rate charged on that income is really much higher. Capital
Gains are taxed at a lower rate of tax the world over, for reasons of
encouraging capital formation, it is nothing unusual or specific to the USA.
The earned income exemption to hedge fund managers, on the other hand, is
unique to the USA, and a telling reminder of the power of money in campaign
politics. Just like your (IMHO idiotic) tort laws distort medical costs for
every citizen, this exemption tends to distort the tax revenue of the
country.
Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad