Subject: [Leica] Occupy Portland Demographics and thoughts and photos
From: mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 18:07:03 -0700

Have not been there since Friday. Pix at my Facebook and Flickr sites
viewable by all Search markkronquist or mark kronquist. The folks at
Portland number about 500 in the two block park (actually one park has two
names one for each block) anyhow peaceful. Needless to ay the homeless made
a beeline for the camps and the 99% folks are feeding them with a very
efficient, very clean, very well organized soup kitchen surprising the heck
out of local commentators who expected a clash. Local Unitarian Churches and
others have made the experience clean, comfortable and safe. The people
range in age from 2 to 92 and, on Friday, included a phalanx of 60-70
something boomers marching to "finish the job of social justice that they
started". In the summer of love I was in nappies..so, this sort of wide
ranging movement is new to me domestically (i covered the riots in Moscow in
1993, the WTO Battle for Seattle, the Iraq War protests along with outer
bash the windows unrest...this is not that.)

They managed to get a newspaper going with a Ditto Machine and mechanical
typewriters. They have a darkroom tent with basic black and white d&p with a
Durst F301...and click on click off timing...surprisingly, the campers
include a number of film shooters with a Canon Leica Copy, a totally
thrashed Tom A like M2, a Bronica SQ, a Olympus RF, and, of course the huge
contingent of SRTs AE1s and OMs...and, needless to ay at least an equaly
number of low to mod end DSLRs (only D3 or recent Canon seems in hand of
media best the campers seem t have is a D2h)

Production suite has a Dual Processor X Serve up and running with two RAIDs
in evidence.

Bales of hay have been brought in to keep the mud down and they have a
ruthlessly efficient team of street sweepers/cleaners (and this is a huge
compliment as Portland typically is as tidy and a Scandinavian city....they
do it even better)

Library is well stocked with leftist literature including Gun Digest,
National Geographic and the Hunger Games books along with a smattering of
Marx and Engles. Zines in huge quantities (some even typed and dittoed)

I have been through in a suit and in jeans and in all cases they were
unfailingly polite, pretty well organized and in no hurry.

In Portland (East Berlin/Bagdad on the Willamette etc a famously left of
left town) it has become a family outing on these delightful fall days.

While I wish their message were more finely honed, I wish them well. For
those who complain that they are camping in parks, I would not have walked
in these parks at dark without a sidearm before they got there. No one did.

My 2 cents for the left coast

Mark

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] PESO: America, from Occupy Philadelphia)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] PESO: America, from Occupy Philadelphia)