Subject: [Leica] OT Panel advises against prostate cancer screening - Yahoo! News
From: topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 20:23:50 +0100

If I may, I might interject, as my day job is as a cancer surgeon, treating
breast cancer and melanoma.

The problem is to do with the balance of benefit v risk. Screening healthy
people is very different to treating people with symptoms. One day, healthy
people are walking down the street, the next they are facing a life
threatening diagnosis and all that entails. Biopsies, surgery with possible
complications etc. Problem with prostate cancer is that not all prostate
cancers are the same. Some people will get an more aggressive form, but many
people will have a more indolent version of the disease, which doesn?t kill
them.

Like all screening tests, there will be ?false positives? ie positive test
results (eg PSA blood test) in people who don?t have cancer, as well as
?false negative? tests - ie a normal PSA in someone with cancer (very
unusual in prostate cancer). The false positive group is the real issue in
screening as we can potentially do harm to healthy people who don?t have
cancer. Even in people who do have cancer, not all of them will develop the
aggressive type that becomes non-responsive to hormone drugs. A radical
prostatectomy has its problems including urinary incontinence and inability
to have erections. Sure, you would trade that if you had the aggressive
prostate cancer type, but maybe not if you had the indolent version.
Difficult thing is that we can?t tell which person has which type yet.

So, it?s not easy. Even breast screening with mammography is not as straight
forward as it seems. There are many who think (probably correctly) that the
benefits are far less than that which is trumpeted to the public.

Best wishes,

Charlie Chan
Cheltenham, UK

topoxforddoc at btinternet.com