Subject: [Leica] OT: Which car to buy...
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:23:05 -0700

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Prius. I think an older Prius
might fall into the desired price range, though I haven't checked.

In the past, I've had quite a number of sporty cars, starting with a
Porsche 365 (or is it 356) rag top, then a Fiat Spider (Spyder?), a
Volkswagen Cabriolet, and a Volkswagen Cabrio.

When it was time to retire the Cabrio, I was torn between things like
a Miata or a Mini Cooper, and at the other extreme, a Prius. What
finally decided me was a trial run in a friend's Prius. There is a
particular exit ramp on a freeway that is marked 25mph which I
regularly took comfortably at about 38mph. I once tried it in my
wife's Camry, and it was damn uncomfortable. A friend let me drive
his Prius on the same exit ramp at the same speed, and it was quite
happy. That decided me; I liked the idea of 40+ miles per gallon.

Having had the Prius now for two years, I find it one of the most
driveable cars I've ever owned. It is also the first car of mine
without a stick shift. I've never liked automatic transmissions;
didn't want an automaton deciding what gear to put me in. But the
Prius, which they (incorrectly) claim has a constantly variable
transmission, gives such a smooth acceleration that it is an absolute
pleasure to drive. To explain: it behaves like a constantly variable
transmission. The engine runs at the optimum rpm for the amount of
power requested. That latter is a direct function of the position of
the accelerator pedal.

Herb