Subject: [Leica] OT Vision phenomenon
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:18:08 -0700

Here is an interesting visual problem that I figured out abut a year
ago. The explanation will have meaning to photographers.

A year or more ago I noticed a strange double vision in my right eye.
It varied in extent from day to day, but looking at a vertical post,
e.g. the post of a street light, I would see a faint ghost image
displaced slightly to the right.
The ophthalmologist had no explanation.

Ultimately, I noticed a very interesting effect when looking at
traffic lights from about a block away. A green light expanded into a
triangle of the light and two ghost images below it. A red light was
only barely affected. Hah, wave-length dependent; has to be
refraction.

A lot of thought as to what the hell could it be, and suddenly I had
an aha moment. As you age, the gel in the eye withdraws from the
retina. It had to be a tiny bit of the gel that stuck to the retina.
Think about the micro-prisms that are the focusing aid on the screen
of an SLR.

I confirmed this with my glasses. I wear trifocals. If I shifted my
glasses so that I was looking at the traffic light through the
mid-distance portion, the size of the triangle increased.

My ophthalmologist was amazed.

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner