Subject: [Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:51:01 -0500
References: <CAJ4y7gxUOb9Cw-zJH2unSBw59+neOCF-W=b_tu6Q2dBSDO7gdA@mail.gmail.com> <p06240803ca8b6786e9b7@192.168.1.104> <000001cc6c60$029b1580$07d14080$@chiaroscuro.co.nz> <1441E398-6DDB-4E1C-A4D5-FFAA607ED60B@btinternet.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E91326009C@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <C1C15CBF-97B9-4AC3-BF73-55E893541334@btinternet.com> <000101cc6c7e$f07c9f80$d175de80$@chiaroscuro.co.nz> <1315306264.41581.YahooMailNeo@web86707.mail.ird.yahoo.com> <035991FE-ABA7-4B4B-BBF6-CC7DC202CD78@embarqmail.com>

Thanks to you early risers and/or in the eastern time zones for your
thoughts.  I have heard of Carbon Copy Cloner and will look into it.
If it will make timed, incremental backups from a FAT32 disk it may be
exactly what I am looking for.

Last night I partitioned the second of my two 1.5TB external disks
(using Snow Leopard's Disk Utility) into a 500GB Mac OS partition upon
which Time Machine backs up, and a second, 1TB FAT32 partition upon
which I copied all of my image files from the FAT32 external hard
drive where they reside.  Boy did that take a long time, but bit for
bit it was.

I did just get the new MacBook Air with Lion and while I don't find
much to complain about and I don't have any Mac legacy software I'm
still going to wait to upgrade the iMac until the dust settles a bit
more.

--Bob

p.s. As I understand it, FAT 32 is the only format which can be read
and written to by both Mac and Windows computers.  There is software I
have had in the past called MacDrive to accomplish cross-platform work
(I can't even remember why, maybe it was when I bought a G4 Powerbook
back in the day) but IIRC it was/is kind of a kludge.

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....)
Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....)
Message from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....)