Subject: [Leica] OT: Print Sale Sites
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 00:54:09 -0400

Generally, I sell to people who are looking for a specific image. People use
things like Google's image search to find an image and one of my photos will
come up in the search if its what they're looking for. No one searches for
me by name, and that's true of all but the most famous photographers. They
search for a photo of ____. Last year, I sold a large print of a photo of a
carnival ride called the Zipper.

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?prodId=70&category=12

She wanted a photo of the Zipper because she and her husband had their first
kiss on a Zipper when they started dating. She wanted to give him a framed
print for their 5th anniversary. She googled pics of the Zipper ride and
liked mine best so she bought it.

So, your site doesn't have to be something a million people a day see, it
just has to be set up right so search engines see the pics and lure people
in who are searching for something. Almost everything I've sold has been
that way...someone wanting a print of a certain thing, or commercial users
needing a certain type of photo to license for something. Having a large
number of photos on your site helps too, it makes your pics more relevant to
search engines if the site has a lot to offer. I have over 1200 photos for
sale on mine.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography