Subject: [Leica] red mini
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:18:41 +0100

Actually as contemporary cars went they were not bad in safety. Nothing was
that good in that era but the design of the mini shell was miles better than
anything else at the time, and was much copied later. The VW beetle was
about the worst IIRC but even the vast cars of the era were not designed
with crash safety in mind.
Modern cars are very good at passing the tests, how much better they are in
real-life accidents I do not know, but as long as trucks and cars share the
same roads, and 4x4s continue to be popular as normal transport, the
real-life accidents are -not- like the tests because of bumper height.
The whole thing is a bit of a farce really. The pedestrian impact rules
apply to cars, which have to have to have low bumpers to make sure a
pedestrian is not knocked under the vehicle, and "soft" bonnets (hoods) so
as to minimise injury to the scooped-up pedestrian. Since trucks and 4x4
(SUV) are fashionable, and don't need to comply, it is a joke.
Anyway something is better than nothing!
The new mini is 2.5x heavier than the old one, most of this is mild steel
added to pass tests. The rest is luxury kit. It needs about 3x the power to
match the performance...
Frank