Subject: [Leica] M9 color balance
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 00:14:09 -0700
References: <p06240800ca6cd45604d1@192.168.1.104> <B358FF6D-68EB-4C9A-87F1-22291E461922@gmail.com> <p06240802ca6ce2e66e72@192.168.1.104> <CAF8hL-F9jiEg_x0mEZ4vFQRtwPKAQnPmZkgmueO1444gfeFkhg@mail.gmail.com> <5545D18F-F381-4982-83FB-78C600A26BE4@usjet.net> <CAF8hL-Hctt0dtdL3b6TyV5FHEp_-wSOB=ktAX+YVgo_oY1A4rg@mail.gmail.com> <4DE8D207-6A9B-451F-9DC3-C1439328D628@usjet.net> <1313296537.75219.YahooMailRC@web82108.mail.mud.yahoo.com>

I think quite a few people misunderstood my question. Probably my
fault for not being crystal clear.

I was not asking for advice, but for information and explanations
from anyone who knows some answers. One answer should be available
from quite a few of you: that question was: does the white balance
setting in a camera directly affect raw files in any non-leica you
know of. Now, I don't believe a mini-file of white balance setting
rides piggy-back on raw files the way EXIF info does on many SLRs. So
forget that explanation of what I observed. Let me repeat what I
observed: I found on the MAC two independent applications which will
render visible in all its glory the picture contained in a raw or DNG
file. And when I set different white balances in the M9, the same
shot taken at different white balances show up as having different
balances when the DNGs are viewed with either of these apps. Finally,
they look equally different when viewed in LR3 without any corrective
actions, just as the come after import.

I also did some speculation. I have always been curious about just
what the hardware does when you change the ISO and theorized that
maybe higher ISO is obtained by increasing the voltage on the sensor.
I then speculated that if this is what in fact is done, then an a
priori white balance could be modified by modifying the voltages
applied respectively to the red, blue, and green sensor groups. Just
guessing, but if anyone actually knows, I'd like to hear from them.

Finally, to make it clear that I was just looking for understanding,
not advice. I'm perfectly happy to leave the camera setting on "auto
and make any needed adjustments in LR. And, I'm convinced that there
are occasions when there are adjustments that can be made in
Lightroom or Aperture to raw that cannot be made, or at least made as
well, to jpegs. Certainly that has been emphasized in more than one
book on Lightroom.

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner