Subject: [Leica] Digital vs. film cost
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:51:32 -0700

Digital makes it a lot easier. The first big problem with film was always
that you ran into crossover problems; ie, when you corrected on the
magenta-cyan axis it made it worse on the yellow-blue axis possibly. There
were even worse problems. In the end, you really couldn't correct for
everything everytime in any way.

Also, the spectral response of film was often not that good once you got out
of the exact lighting the film was designed for. No film was good for
fluorescents, because film is designed for certain types of continuous
emission spectra, and fluorescents just don't have those.

Digitally you can easily create response curves that go up and down, have
spikes or whatever. Plus you can to local corrections. Way easier.

On 2011-07-19, at 12:12 PM, Richard Man wrote:

> So with all these war stories about shooting the particular subject in
> question (indoor architecture with mixed lighting), does digital make
> it easier? I can't imagine it does inherently as sensors have similar
> limitations as film; that they are limited in their spectral
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM, George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Henning Wulff wrote:
>>
>>> I also had (have) a colour meter, along with all the requisite filters.
>>> The main problem is that as lighting of interiors, especially commercial
>>> ones, became more complex with incandescents, flourescents of various
>>> shades, halogen of varying types, HDI and other types plus daylight,
>>> there was often no 'best' filtration; there was only preference for one
>>> shade or another. When there was only incandescent and daylight, as in
>>> older residences, one could balance everything by using flash or blue
>>> photolamps in fixtures, or taking the shots at dusk. With complex
>>> lighting that just wasn't possible.
>>
>> INDEED!
>> Not only did we need complete filter sets for the lens
>> but also to cover windows  and tuck into light fixtures too.
>> Do we balance for daylight or tungsten?
>>
>> We also had to fight for film and processing budgets
>> but also for location scouting budgets and test shoots
>> just to see how much and what kind of kit would be necessary
>> to get the job done on the actual day of the shoot.
>>
>> Regards,
>> George Lottermoser
>> george at imagist.com
>> http://www.imagist.com
>> http://www.imagist.com/blog
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist

> --
> // richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
> // icc blog: <http://imagecraft.com/blog/>
> // richard's personal photo blog: <http://www.5pmlight.com>
> [ For technical support on ImageCraft products, please include all
> previous replies in your msgs. ]

Henning Wulff
henningw at archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Digital vs. film cost)