Subject: [Leica] Lens Design for Documentation of Places--Charles Marville but now with a sensor 1/100th the size.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:28:16 -0400

I spent most of my commercial photography working life shooting on tripods
at smallish f stops as out of focus areas was not a consideration to come to
the LUG and find out that stopping down even a little bit was way uncool.
Some of this baloney actually rubbed off on  me. Its only very recently that
even with my street shooting I'm shoot at f 8 willy nilly. F 11 or what ever
the f it takes to get what I want in focus in the shot. You can take your
diffraction limited and "not getting your full Leicas worth not shooting
wide open" and keep it nice and cool somewhere.

This multiple focus technology is fascinating  and i'm straining at the bit
to get into it but one wonders the last time someone did photography in a
traditional sense as is described by Martin below. Used a tripod and stopped
down till we got all detail from front to back in focus. Its great fun and
very rewarding... Not to have missing information read: bokeh. But have an
image with full very clear information in all corners.
Yes a tilt down has its advantages instead of having to stop down so much
but trust me; a lot of the images you've seen over the years were shot at
f16 or f22 even with medium format or 35mm roll film and no one asked for
their money back.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography