Subject: [Leica] Medium Format Digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:59:28 -0400

I agree that getting the way inside story on developers is the main
sharpness control in analog photography that and making smarter lens choices
like farily modern Leica glass.
I also found Xtol 1:3 to give me the kind of sharpness I dreamed about but
with also almost ideal fine grain. Previously you'd get one or the other but
never both. A classical acutance developer gives you more grain than you'd
normally like making you opt for slower speed films.
Xtol itself has tons of sulfite and is not, with Beutlers in the acutance
category of developing agents check the Steve Ansel, Troop book.
And either is Rodinal surprisingly in the top shelf on that end.

A consideration for all the negs I've shot not developed in the ideal
developing dilution combination is the fact that now with carful scanning
and then sharpening produces an image which in most cases is not wanting in
any consideration. In a pigment inkjet print on 100% rag matte paper.  I've
gotten a reprieve from all my wrong doings.
As in the past messing up a print was one thing but developing the neg in
the wrong soup left you stuck

Mark William Rabiner