Subject: [Leica] OT camera question
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:56:40 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks Howard.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: "H&ECummer" <cummer at netvigator.com>
To: lug at leica-users.org
Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:32:38 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

> Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 23:35:15 -0500 (CDT)
> From: grduprey at mchsi.com
> Subject: [Leica] OT camera question
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Several on here have used the Panasonic G1 and I am wondering what
> are your thoughts on this
> camera.  I have found a new one at a reduced price and am wondering
> if it is worth buying.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

HI Gene,
I have a G1 a GF 1 and two GH2's. (Don't ask!)
The G1 was a good first try. It's EVF is still the best that I have
used and is replicated in the GH2.
High ISO performance has improved with the GF1 and GH2 and I prefer
the screen based controls
of the GH2 - didn't think I would - but I do. They are much faster to
adjust than diving into menus.
The GF 1 is a handy size and a great walk around camera, especially
with the 20mm f1.7 but
if you want a viewfinder the expensive accessory viewfinder is only so
so with about 1/3 the pixels
that you get in the G1 and GH2 viewfinders. The Olympus accessory
viewfinder is much higher
resolution but, of course, doesn't fit on the GF 1.
The panasonic lenses cover a wide range from 7mm to 300mm in various
zooms (14mm to 600mm
35mm equivalent) and are for the most part very good. At Henning's
suggestion I looked at
the output of the D700 with the latest Nikkor 70 - 200mm with a 2X
extender compared to the
GH2 with the 100 - 300 zoom (my hummingbird lens of choice) and
although I didn't want to believe it
the 100 - 300 is sharper than the Nikkor combination. The panasonic
20mm f1.7 is a wonderful little lens
with a Leica-like signature well corrected on the panasonic bodies.
In summary, if the price is very right, the G1 could be a good
acquisition depending on what you want to
do with it.
My 2 cents
Howard