Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:06:05 -0400

According to Erwin's Book Leica Lens Compendium, 2001:

" At full aperture the M-21 has a low to medium overall contrast, crisp
rendition
of fine detail on axis (image height 6mm), with a fairly rapid drop in the
field. The lens is flare sensitive, has vignetting of 2.5 stops and visible
distortion."
You'd of course need to read the thing yourself to get the full context.*

Stopped down a couple it improves. Read f 5.6
He says that at f 4.5 it matches the performance of the ASPH version wide
open at 2.8!

I have in my mind an image of a wide angle f 4.5 lens.
Its tiny. A bit smaller than the super Angulon 3.4.
About the size of the tip of my pinky or a thimble.
No need for it to be collapsible.
I think I've seen them in the Leica and Nikon catalogs and books.

I've never before this review of the lens remembered the contrast or
resolution of a Leicas lens described "medium" let along "low".
I think in glass made in the 1930's the word "medium" was used now and then.
Normally its an issue of: high, very high, and ridiculously high. But don't
quote me.

If were to use a lens on a rangefinder camera which really only performed
well at f 4.5 I'd get an  4.5 lens Its not as if I'm looking THROUGH the
darned thing. It does not need to snap on a bright groundglass. That's SLR
thinking.

Oh and by the way he writes that stopping down the ASPH two stops to f 5.6
removes all distortion and is in effect the optimum way of shooting the
lens.

I'm surprised no one could fish out his or her Erwin book or look up the PDF
on his hard disk or on the internet.

The pre apish 21 is a real embarrassment for Leica.
One of the real very few.
But made in 1980 its also a bit of forgettable history.
To buy one now and think you're getting a deal becuae it says "Leica or
Leitz" on it and you're getting it for a song to me is regrettable.
There is a shoebox full of much worthier option's from a dozen companies.

*This is on page 102 of the PDF or page 140 of the real book.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb