Subject: [Leica] Which Lens to buy for $2500
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:36:41 -0400

Congrats Geoff I know you'll make good use of it.
As far as glass goes I go for the one I can't afford. Which is going to be
Leica's current offering if there is one in that focal lengh or basic
configuration... As in speed.
Later on down the line if the price is low enough I'll then go for an older
offering from Leica  or if its for my LTM system Canon or Nikon or who knows
what else or more currently, Cosina either with Zeiss or Voigtl?nder
typography.  Perhaps a slow compact version if that's not what I have
already. Then compare the two and if this alternate choice has something
interesting going for it for some shots. Maybe its way less sharp but looks
interesting otherwise. As in "fingerprint" or "glow" not the result I hope
of it needing a cleaning.
As far as I go I cant afford mediocre glass first out. If I need the focal
length I need to be be currently competitive or in the case of Leica, more
so.
I'd not buy it on an auction site or otherwise when its not in front of me
when I'm buying it. I want to look at it and hold it in my hands before I
buy a lens.

Mark William Rabiner