Subject: [Leica] Lytro camera revealed
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:57:57 -0700

A bit more info yesterday, in the local newspaper:

OTTAWA - The world of photography is about to be
dramatically altered, and a Canadian is a big
part of the picture.
Charles Chi, a graduate of Ottawa's Carleton
University who sold the optical networking
company he founded, Lightera Networks, to Ciena
Corp. for $ 452 million in the late 1990s, has
re-emerged as chairman of Mountain View, Calif.,
company Lytro Inc.
Lytro has developed a new method of taking
pictures that can capture the angle, colour and
placement of every ray of light within an image,
producing a photo that is light years ahead of
current photographic technology.
The company says it will introduce a
point-and-shoot camera with the new system this
fall that will be priced in range of existing
digital cameras.
Current camera technologies break a
two-dimensional image into tiny pixels and then
assign each pixel to an address that allows the
image to be recreated on a screen.
The more pixels used to make the image, the sharper the image will be.
But Lytro's technology makes pixel mapping technology look like a floppy
disk.
" It redefines the term megapixel," Chi said in
an interview Wednesday. " What we are capturing
now are rays. Rays are much more important than
pixels.
" The innovation here is being able to actually
capture the light rays. The angle that the light
came in, the power, the intensity, the colour.
All those aspects. I think a lot of photographers
are going to embrace this and learn a new way of
taking pictures."
Lytro says its cameras will be capable of taking
images far faster than digital cameras can.
They'll be better in lowlight situations, and the
technology used to snap the image means every
picture taken will be, by default, a 3-D image.
As well, it promises photographers that they will
never again produce an unfocused image. All the
information needed to refocus an image will be
stored in the image file and can be used after
the picture is taken to sharpen the photograph.
The technology, called light field photography,
could advance picture-taking in the same way that
digital cameras pushed photographers to give up
their aged film-based cameras, its inventors say.
" This is the next big evolution of the camera,"
said Ren Ng, founder and chief executive of Lytro.
" The move to digital from film was extraordinary
and opened up picture taking to a much larger
audience. Now you can snap once and focus later
to get the perfect picture."
The technology started out as a research project
in a Stanford University lab in the mid1990s. In
2005, Ng began working with the technology as
part of his PhD studies at the Palo Alto, Calif.,
school.
Until then, taking a photo that captured all the
light rays within an image required hundreds of
cameras hooked to a supercomputer.
" This is a huge revolution, a very big change. I
think as a company we can bring a lot to the
table in terms of a product," said Chi.
" It's a very large market. It doesn't take much
of the market share for us to become a large,
substantive, independent company."
The company expects to begin selling its first
point-and-shoot camera to American consumers
later this year.
An international launch will follow.
Chi wouldn't say what the price of the new camera
would be. But he said it would be " competitive"
with more traditional digital camera prices.