Subject: [Leica] Cannot upgrade M8 firmware
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:56:56 +0100 (BST)

My software upgrade on my M8.2 (my M9 has been at Leica UK for service since
3rd
May) revealed some slightly strange behaviour.
In order to keep the continuous numbering sequence on the M8 I decided to
use a
different SD card for the upgrade. I removed one from a Panasonic FT1 P&S,
formatted it in my M8.2, did the update, re-formatted the card in the M8.2
remove the update file then returned the card to the FT1. Putting back the
original card in the M8.2 maintained the file numbering sequence but the FT1
reported a damaged card... It would not even try to format it.
I put this card back in my card reader and there were no visible files. I
erased
it using Disk Utility and then it worked fine in the FT1 again.
The implication is that the M series write "invisible" files to the card
when it
is formatted which may be incompatible with some software, though Mac OSX
should
not be one of them.
Frank D